Additional Notes to Chapter 6


Additional Note 1
The priest who may have followed Schuon is André Gircourt ("Abbé Stéphane," 1907-85). The other priest is Abbé Jean Châtillon (1912-88). Châtillon at some point expressed the view that "the sacraments of the Church are something infinitely superior to all those rites transmitted by the Paraclete," and in 1950 wrote in a friendly letter to Gircourt that he no longer had any real contact with "all those people," though he had recently met Vâlsan (whose name he could not spell correctly) in the National Library (see Zoccatelli, Lièvre qui rumine , pp. 34 and 139). Unless he was deliberately trying to deceive his friend, Châtillon seems to have lost interest in Traditionalism some time before 1950, then, and so can be excluded as a follower of Schuon's. Thomas can similarly be excluded because in 1950 he wrote to other members of the Paraclete telling them not to take sides in the Guénon-Schuon dispute of that year. He would hardly have done this if a follower of Schuon's. PierLuigi Zoccatelli, "Notes on an Unpublished Correspondence between Rene Guenon and Louis Charbonneau-Lassay," unpublished paper delivered at the annual International Conference of CESNUR held in Bryn Athyn, PA, June 2-5, 1999.

Additional Note 2
Katz--Guénon's doctor--does not express a view on the cause of Guénon's death, but Lings reports him as ascribing it to "a general weakening of different organs, a kind of premature bodily senility, brought on by a completely sedentary life combined with an unsuitable diet." The Chacornac and Lings accounts do not fully agree either as regards timing or Guénon's attitude to his illness. Chacornac has Guénon spending several months in decline refusing any medication, while Lings has him spending one month in his final illness and following his doctors instructions, save to refuse a blood test. Chacornac was not present during these events, and seems to regard Guénon's death as brought on partly by disappointment. Lings was there, but would not have wanted to imply to Schuon that he had been responsible for Guénon's death. It is clear only that Guénon was still young at the time of his death.

Perry and his wife had arrived in Cairo on their way to India after reading Coomaraswamy, and had been introduced to Guénon by an American friend then in an Egyptian prison. This friend, an Alawi, had arrived in Egypt as a sailor, and then jumped ship in Alexandria to visit Guénon in Cairo. He had been imprisoned pending deportation for illegal entry, having attracted the attention of the police because he looked so strange, dressed in a gallabiyya of Guénon's which was too long for him, and an Astrakhan cap.  See Whithall N. Perry, "Aperçus," in Frithjof Schuon, 1907-1998: Etudes et témoignages , ed. Bernard Chevilliat (Avon: Connaissance des Religions, 1999), pp. 90-91.
 was established June 19, 2000.
This page was last revised July 21, 2006 .
Comments © Mark Sedgwick, 1998, 2000-2006